Why I love engineering!
Inflection point for universities – to better serve society’s needs.
Applaud this decision. Universities are not corporate organizations defending their “product and processes”. They exist to serve society, not themselves.
This post follows the one just published. This is a great institutional mission statement. Rankings should demonstrate how well an institution achieves its unique mission.
What should rankings measure? My short list ordered by the three-pronged mission of higher education:
- Degree of accomplishment of graduate competencies development [needed by employers/society]
- Graduation rate, time to graduation (teaching/learning effectiveness)
- Graduates’ ability to pay education debt (roi)
- R&D portfolio – Pertinence of R&D at local, regional & global levels
- Impact of research (short, medium, long-term)
- External recognition (quality not necessarily quantity)
- Time & effort dedicated to internal & external community service
- Quality of the above
One overall ranking should gather all of the above according to institution’s unique mission and would indicate the institution’s degree of addressing society’s needs. There ought to be rankings for different kinds of institutions (e.g., research as primary focus; education as primary focus; mixed)
Good piece. Lived through some of it.